Thursday, September 13, 2012

Final Preparations

Opportunity Charging at Walgreen's Santa Cruz on Sept 12 
Today is the day. I have the car all cleaned up, going over my plans and packing everything in the car. I had a great conversation with a reporter and photographer from the Santa Cruz Sentinel  I will be taking the car to it's first charging point, The Community Foundation of Santa Cruz County, today around 4 PM for one more set of interviews, and then off to Monterey for training as a guide at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (My next adventure), back around 9:30, have the family drop me off at the car and then prep to leave at 12:01 am tonight on my journey to L.A. I will continue to post updates at charging stops on my route. You can follow here or on twitter at @JournEV or from the Facebook BMW ActiveE Driver Group.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jack, great endeavor!
    Are you going to run any or all accessories or are you going to slum it and save battery capacity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be somewhat slumming it. I will not be running the heated seats or air conditioning, I will also be putting the car in ECO-Pro mode which lowers the acceleration and climate control profiles. Since it takes 2.5 to 3 times longer to recoup energy while charging than it does expending it while driving, I will be trying to tune my driving behavior, but still maintain speed limits.

    ReplyDelete